A Few Musings...

Sister, dreamer, rebel, saint...and sometimes poet or just a woman who has something to say.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roanoke, VA, United States

Sister, dreamer, rebel, saint...

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Journey to Freezer

(cold)
door opens down into nothing but
dark and nothing
ghosts sleep everywhere especially in the basement
where
old stone weeps like a wistful castle
(arthur calling his love)
I enter
they hide under the stairs
crumbling monument of mildew and mud
seeping through the cracks in the wall
a hand will reach out and
grab my foot but I walk slowly anyway
to tempt them
(run fast-stepping toe-creeping)
one more step
glow from above the rectangular moon
breathes light into dank
into slithering underground wilderness
I creep downward
shudder at each sound mouse scratching tiny claws
in the corner or
slick salamander jolted into view by the angry monster
behind the stairs
awakened by a cold draft
baby cries from above so far away it may as well be
outer space
beyond uranus dark and vast as here
mold alive underfoot
(watch out for the nails)
salty lips dreaming sweet
I am not afraid
I am not afraid but
I am bone-chilled but I am
Darkness
wicked laughter from above
and a door slams in a parallel universe
death stench rises small deaths have nowhere to
retire no earth womb to return to
only stone and cement
rotten
cold feet reluctant
breath reluctant
voice calls hurry up down there
I cannot if you run the ghosts chase you
and devour your soul
never fear
open the ice-packed mausoleum
(dead body inside juliet) grab the
ice cream and
bolt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home